In the early 1900's schooling was compulsory for children 6 - 14 years at State Primary Schools. For those who couldn't afford private education, there was nowhere they could continue their education until they were 17 and could attend the Gordon Technical College. In 1909 community concern grew for this gap to be filled and this saw the establishment of a Continuation School to provide an academic education for trainee teachers and a general education for those wishing to go on to the Gordon.
On February 8 1910, 79 students together with eight teachers and an Acting Headmaster, began classes in a couple of disused rooms at the Gordon. John William Gray was appointed Headmaster in April with and annual salary of £345 ($690.00). Twelve months later, enrolment had increased to 150 and 12 rooms were being used at the Gordon. The school was renamed the 'Geelong High School' and so became Geelong's first State Secondary School. The current site was selected and the new school, to accommodate 450 students, was completed in August 1915.