SILVER GULLS Alumni Association of Geelong High School Inc. came into being in November, 2011, and took over from Friends of Geelong High School which had been in existence for 12 years. Silver Gulls was to become a different sort of entity, having a committee which meets every couple of months.
We've been asked, why Alumni (pronounced al-um-neye, the 'u' rhymes with sum) and not Ex-students. Alumnus is originally from mid 17th century Latin, meaning a male pupil. The feminine alumna didn’t appear until the 19th century. Alumni includes both genders. These days Alumni is a less specific term and therefore can be more inclusive, ie, we can include ex-teachers, families and other community members.
The purpose of the Silver Gulls is encapsulated as follows:
• To strengthen links with former students, staff and the wider school community
• To provide a medium whereby former students, staff and the wider school community may preserve and develop friendships formed at the Geelong High School.
• To organize the co-operation and the assistance of former students, staff and the wider school community with and for the benefit of the school.
• To maintain and further develop and provide access to school archives for approved purposes.
• To promote and publicize the school, including significant achievements of former members of the school community.
• To facilitate activities such as reunions and anniversary celebrations.
• To provide appropriate publications to inform members of the activities of 'The Silver Gulls'.
• To participate in fund raising and enhance the prospect of bequests and major donations through an increased awareness of the school and its confirmed commitment to excellence in education.
• Such other purposes as may from time to time be considered by the Executive as beneficial to the school or the Silver Gulls.
In order to help the school financially, as well as with occasional fund raising, we need to be able to apply for grants for specific projects. And so began the long process of becoming incorporated and this was finalised in March in 2013. We have our ABN registration but are still in the process of applying for specific tax deduction status and we hope all this will be in place in the not too distant future.
So far, we have:
• Raised over $10,000 which went towards the installation of raked seating in the Shenton Theatre. Many of our members purchased plaques which appear on the back of the theatre seats;
• Discussed the design and implementation of some sort of school icon, an outdoor 'something' to make people look twice at Geelong High School, or an indoor gallery or event to encourage the wider community.
• Made available $250.00 to be awarded as a bursary to a worthy student who, through their efforts and ability throughout the year, has shown great potential to excel at a tertiary level;
• Produced a newsletter four times per year and copies of these newsletters are available to be read in the school foyer.
• Applied unsuccessfully for a grant to install air-conditioning in the Shenton Theatre. (we are still working on this)
We are also assisting the Drama Department with the provision of historical displays of school productions in the Shenton Theatre.
Another of our focuses is the upkeep of the school's archives and a long-term aim is to have an area set aside for the safe storage of all our archive material and memorabilia, as well as display cases for old uniforms and books, etc.
It is also most interesting to keep up to date with the changes to education, both curriculum and administration and the committee is often invited to visit various areas of the school which have been refurbished such as the Foods Technology floor of the Winstanley Wing. Any member who would like to see the school as it is today is welcome to contact Jenn to arrange a tour.
We love to welcome visitors and new members.
Contact Jenn Colquhoun
(P: 5278 3844 or E: email@example.com).